[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3281: CUPS Fails to handle poscrtipt generated by Adobe Flash Player

Ian Dall ian at beware.dropbear.id.au
Sat Aug 8 18:20:38 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 08:47 -0700, Michael Sweet wrote:
> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> Sigh...  The Adobe DSC *does* have required comments and Adobe is not
> following their own standards.

I made that comment based on Section A.1.1 of
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/postscript/pdfs/5001.DSC_Spec.pdf

Which says: "As of version 2.1 there are no longer any required
comments."

However it also says (section 3.1): "If there is a section of a document
that corresponds to a particular comment, the comment must be used to
identify that section of the document."

So I guess that if that %%Pages is not required if there are no pages,
but is required if there are.

> Report a bug to Adobe. This is not a CUPS bug.

Fair enough, and I have done so.

However, Flash is very common and it wouldn't be the only, (or last)
application to generate non conforming data. I still think it is not
good that pstops detects an error, but the whole stack proceeds as if
nothing were wrong (until something else fails where the cause is harder
to pin down). It should either do a fixup (if that can be reasonably
done) or fail cleanly preferably with a meaningful status/error message.

--
Ian Dall <ian at beware.dropbear.id.au>