[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3307: Changing the default for the printer discovery timeout

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 08:24:46 PDT 2009

[STR New]

There is a CUPS backend for Bluetooth printers available as part of the
Bluez (Bluetooth daemon) package. In discovery mode it send some kind of
broadcast and then waits 10 seconds for answers of Bluetooth printers.
After that it answers with a list of all discovered printers. This takes
around 10.5 seconds in total. If I run "lpinfo -v" it seems that with the
default timeout setting all backends get killed after 10 seconds and so I
get never a Bluetooth printer listed. If I specify a timeout of 11 or more
seconds I get my Bluetooth printer listed. The web interface seems to use a
longer timeout in general, as there I get always my Bluetooth printer
listed.

system-config-printer, the most common printer setup tools does a
CUPS_GET_DEVICES IPP request, but without anything specific to CUPS 1.4
(probably to stay compatible with CUPS 1.3) and does not list the
Bluetooth printer with CUPS 1.4. So the default device discovery timeout
seems to be too short.

I would like to know how I can adjust the default timeout on the CUPS
side, without needing to modify the printer setup tools or even make them
incompatible with older CUPS versions. I would appreciate very much if an
entry in the cupsd.conf could be added.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3307
Version: 1.4-current