[cups.general] Device URI and mdns

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Wed Dec 2 12:58:46 PST 2009

> I've moved away from dns on my home LAN and using mdns instead.  I have two HP printers configured in printers.conf:
>
> Info HP Color LaserJet 2605
> DeviceURI socket://color_laser.local:9100
>
> Info HP Photosmart C4500
> DeviceURI hp:/net/Photosmart_C4500_series?ip=192.168.1.117
>
> Problem is that the IP address of the C4500 changes over time (power failure last week changed IPs).

I am guessing that you should be able to manually configure the IP address or set an IP address for the printer in your DHCPD configuration.

Using the DNS / IP address is a great way for rock solid printing.

If you are looking for very simply DNS configuration and overheads, you may also want to check out Ruby DNS : <http://www.oriontransfer.co.nz/software/ruby-dns/index>

I hope this helps