Default cpi for lp/lpr not working in 1.4.1

tinnews at isbd.co.uk tinnews at isbd.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 09:13:14 PST 2009

I have one system on my LAN running Ubuntu server 9.10 and three
running xubuntu 9.04.  I have two printers, one a networked HP7310 and
the other an HP1320 which is connected by USB to the Ubuntu server
machine and is accessible via that from the other machines.

So far so good, both printers work fine from all machines when used
'normally', i.e. for printing from Firefox or Open Office or whatever.

The problem I have is that when I use lp or lpr from the command line
on the 9.10 system the ouput is in a silly typeface and a silly size
and the normal command line options have no effect.

So if I do, for example, "ls -al | lpr -P HP7310" on my desktop 9.04
system I get a neat output in Courier 10 on the printer.  However if I
do exactly the same on the 9.10 system I get a horrible mess in some
wierd typeface at about 5 cpi so some of the lines wrap and overprint
themselves.

Unfortunately, since the HP1320 is connected via the 9.10 system (it
doesn't have its own network connection) all lpr output from any
system to it goes via the CUPS on the 9.10 server and has the same
bug, prints at about 5cpi.

Ubuntu 9.10 has CUPS version 1.4.1 whereas the older 9.04 has CUPS
1.3.9 so it would seem that there's a bug in CUPS 1.4.1.  However I
can't find any reports of such a bug in CUPS, does no one print from
the command line any more or is my Googling incompetant?

In addition to the incorrect default print size the CUPS 1.4.1 command
line appears to ignore any options like "-o cpi=10" which might
otherwise be used to work around the problem.

Is this a known bug?  What can I do to help diagnose it?

--
Chris Green