How to define generic postscript printer when using cups-1.4.2-7

Ido Levy idol at il.ibm.com
Sun Dec 6 07:20:28 PST 2009

Hello All,

I am running CUPS 1.4.2-7 on top of Fedora Core 12.

In earlier versions of CUPS I used lpadmin command with the following parameters to define a generic PostScript printer:

lpadmin -p PostScript -v ps:/tmp -E -P /usr/share/cups/model/postscript.ppd.gz -D "PostScript" -L "localhost"

On this version of CUPS the file /usr/share/cups/model/postscript.ppd.gz doesn't exists. I found on the documentation reference to generic post script driver -

lpinfo -m | grep -i generic.ppd
drv:///sample.drv/generic.ppd Generic PostScript Printer

but I am not sure how to use it when defining the printer using lpadmin command

I would appreciate your advice

Thanks

Ido