[cups.general] A cups "Hello World" using Java sample & JAVADOCS

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sun Dec 6 12:43:08 PST 2009

On Dec 6, 2009, at 9:30 AM, E K wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am trying to create a simple Java program that will print PDF files through CUPS, but I can't seem to find any simple sample Java programs out there on Google using CUPS and Java.
>
> Is there some CUPS jar files / API / javadocs / books that I could refer to get a simple program going? I would sincerely appreciate any pointers.  Thanks for your time.
> EK

Are you trying to just print existing files, or capture drawing from Java to send to the printer?

CUPS used to include a simple Java IPP class that allowed Java programs to submit print jobs and monitor jobs and queues, but it was largely unmaintained and was dropped in CUPS 1.4.

Java also includes basic IPP printing support, however Sun's implementation is very buggy...