landscape printing problem

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Dec 9 14:43:33 PST 2009

Christoph Litauer wrote:

> Helge Blischke schrieb:
>> Christoph Litauer wrote:
>>
>>> Environment:
>>> Server: cups-1.1.23
>>> Client: MacOS 10.6.2
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I try to print firefox pages landscape. I configured landscape printing
>>> in page setup. The spooled output looks like
>>> http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer/cups/test.pdf
>>>
>>> The printing environment contains '-o orientation-requested=4', filters
>>> are I [08/Dec/2009:14:01:23 +0100] Started filter
>>> /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops-1.20 (PID 30411) for job 1.
>>> I [08/Dec/2009:14:01:23 +0100] Started filter
>>> /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops.alt (PID 30412) for job 1.
>>>
>>> The result is like:
>>> http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer/cups/test.ps
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> As the PDF page in the PDF file is already defined as a landscape page
>> ("... /MediaBox [0 0 842 595] ...") your setup forces an additional
>> rotation of the coordinate system by 90 degrees. If you do not request
>> landscape printing, the output will be ok.
>
> Helge,
>
> I didn't request anything explicitly while printing. I want to do a
> simple thing: Print a firefox page in landscape format. So I made a
> landscape page setup in firefox. I did not change anything in the
> printing dialog, but the preview already shows a landscape page. I
> cannot find any possibility to change the printing format to portrait.
> The "orientation-requested"-option seems to be sent by the printing
> dialog. Doing the same thing with linux works as expected.

Christoph,

as I do not have a MacOS X 10.6 nor a firefox on my Mac (10.5.x), I'm not
able to reproduce your issue. But from what I know about Mac OS X printing,
when printing from Mozilla (as from any application running in Quartz
environment), a PDF is generated in the first step. This PDF is ok, as well
with respect to the page orientation (see the MediaBox I mentioned in my
change be specified - just printing with the default portrait orientation
gives the desired result.

What I'm wondering about is that the job attributes submitted to your CUPS
contain a "orientation-requested=5", which means "seascape" - the correct
option should be "orientation-requested=3" (portrait).

You should set the log level to debug on both your Mac and the print server
box (some Linux I suppose) and post the respective portions of the error
logs of both machines (or send them to me directly to h dot blischke at acm
dot org).

BTW, I tested landscape printing vrom firefox (3.x) on SuSE Linux 11.1 and
got a correct PostScript file. But that certainly is not representative as
the PS is generated by cairo in my case.

Helge