landscape printing problem

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Dec 10 01:18:30 PST 2009

Am 09.12.09 23:43, schrieb Helge Blischke:
> Christoph Litauer wrote:
>
>> Helge Blischke schrieb:

>>> As the PDF page in the PDF file is already defined as a landscape page
>>> ("... /MediaBox [0 0 842 595] ...") your setup forces an additional
>>> rotation of the coordinate system by 90 degrees. If you do not request
>>> landscape printing, the output will be ok.
>>
>> Helge,
>>
>> I didn't request anything explicitly while printing. I want to do a
>> simple thing: Print a firefox page in landscape format. So I made a
>> landscape page setup in firefox. I did not change anything in the
>> printing dialog, but the preview already shows a landscape page. I
>> cannot find any possibility to change the printing format to portrait.
>> The "orientation-requested"-option seems to be sent by the printing
>> dialog. Doing the same thing with linux works as expected.
>>

> Christoph,
>
> as I do not have a MacOS X 10.6 nor a firefox on my Mac (10.5.x), I'm not
> able to reproduce your issue. But from what I know about Mac OS X printing,
> when printing from Mozilla (as from any application running in Quartz
> environment), a PDF is generated in the first step. This PDF is ok, as well
> with respect to the page orientation (see the MediaBox I mentioned in my
> change be specified - just printing with the default portrait orientation
> gives the desired result.
>
> What I'm wondering about is that the job attributes submitted to your CUPS
> contain a "orientation-requested=5", which means "seascape" - the correct
> option should be "orientation-requested=3" (portrait).
>
> You should set the log level to debug on both your Mac and the print server
> box (some Linux I suppose) and post the respective portions of the error
> logs of both machines (or send them to me directly to h dot blischke at acm
> dot org).

Helge,

I'm sorry to say that the reason seems to be your pdftops filter ... I
changed my config to use the original cups pdftops and got the correct
output. I am using version 1.20.

> BTW, I tested landscape printing vrom firefox (3.x) on SuSE Linux 11.1 and
> got a correct PostScript file. But that certainly is not representative as
> the PS is generated by cairo in my case.

Same here.

--
Kind regards
Christoph
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Computing Center,     http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Fingerprint: F39C E314 2650 650D 8092 9514 3A56 FBD8 79E3 27B2