CUPS creates printers with non-existing computer name

Tom Walter twalter at hunter.cuny.edu
Thu Dec 17 14:45:53 PST 2009

My CUPS server is a Dell running RHEL 5.4 with all updates. It is creating two printers for the same networked HP8000 printer. The device URI are as follows:

ipp://newweb.geo.xxxxx.xxxx.edu:631/printers/_xxx.xx.2.117

and

ipp://newweb.geo.xxxxx.xxxx.edu:631/printers/_xxx.xx.2.117-1

The machine newweb has not existed for over a year. I looked in the following places and could not find a reference to newweb:

NIS file
ypcat hosts|grep newweb
no entries in DNS via dig and nslookup
no evidence of reference to newweb in mDNS or avahi

I'm not including details at this point because I'm at a total loss as to what my be important to troubleshoot.

Thanks in advance.

Tom