Ghostscript / CUPS-PDF default font problem

Chris thwiang at comcast.net
Fri Dec 18 09:49:17 PST 2009

UPDATE:
I've gotten a little closer to what my issue may be...
It definitely has to do with the way the embedded fonts in the PDF are encoded.

I was able to get the PDF encoding to change by switching from the default
"CUPS-PDF Postscript driver" to the "Generic Postscript driver" in Ubuntu.

For some reason when using the "CUPS-PDF driver" the fonts are
[TrueType (CID), Type-H encoded] when embedded into the PDF.
When I copy the word "test" from a pdf and paste it I get: 􀁗􀁈􀁖􀁗

When using the "Generic Postscript driver" the fonts are
[TrueType, Custom encoded] when embedded into the PDF.
When I copy the word "test" from a pdf and paste it I get: WHVW

I think I need to find a way to embed the font as [TrueType, ANSI encoded]

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm running out of ideas...

Thanks,
Chris