[cups.general] Enable remote printing from Windows Vista over Internet

vitaminx vitaminx at callistix.net
Sat Dec 26 16:34:38 PST 2009

Hello,

I'm running a cups print server on Debian testing behind a router at home
and I'm looking for a way to enable printing over IPP from a Windows Vista
Desktop over Internet.

A telnet from my workplace gives me:

C:\>telnet myhost.mydomain.org 631
Connecting To myhost.mydomain.org...Could not open connection to the host,
on port 631: Connect failed

although my router forwards both TCP and UDP to my server.

On the print server itself the ports are open:

# lsof -i -n | grep cups
cupsd     25566      root    3u  IPv4 2562412      0t0  TCP *:ipp (LISTEN)
cupsd     25566      root    5u  IPv6 2562413      0t0  TCP *:ipp (LISTEN)
cupsd     25566      root    7u  IPv4 2562416      0t0  UDP *:ipp

# telnet localhost 631
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

Printing form the local subnet works fine with Linux & Mac clients, but I
want to find a way to access my printer at home from my workplace :)

I've attached the cupsd.conf

Many thanks,
vitaminx

--