[cups.general] How to retrieve Advanced Printer Settings

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Dec 28 14:26:55 PST 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 3:14 AM, Jeevan K. S. Chalam wrote:
> I am making a print dialogue similar to GtkPrintUnixDialog. I am doing it for a different UI but the backend should have all the functionalities.
>
> I am able to print the pages for applications with basic settings like:
> 1. Number of Copies
> 2. Reverse
> 3. Collate
> 4. Current Page/All Pages/Page Range
> 5. Landscape/Portrait (Orientation)
>
> But, I am not able to retrieve and use the Advanced Settings like:
> 1. Single/Dual page mode

If you mean duplex/2-sided printing, use the "sides" attribute when submitting the job and  the "sides-supported" attribute to determine which values are supported.

> 2. Resolution

Currently this is only exposed via the PPD file - use cupsGetPPD() and ppdOpenFile(), then look for the Resolution or JCLResolution options for supported values.

> 3. Pages per side.

Use the "number-up" attribute when submitting the job and the "number-up-supported" attribute to determine which values are supported. Current CUPS releases support 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, and 16-up printing for all printers.

> 4. Tray

Use the PPD file and look for the InputSlot option.