[cups.general] PostScript problem with Xerox Phaser 6280DN

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 14:41:16 PST 2009

On Thursday 31 December 2009 14:05:52 Helge Blischke wrote:
>  Further investigation showed up that AdobeReader on Linux by itself
>  included  some defaults/options from the printer's PPD, the JobPatchFile
>  among them, but bracketed with PS code that caused the error.

Hello Helge,

Interesting thread. Thanks for the provided help!  I'm a Linux user (using
Fedora 12) and the latest Adobe Reader (version 9.2) and about 2 weeks ago I
installed a new printer I got (Xerox Phaser 3250DN) which might be similar to
the one the OP has and decided to do some tests here with his PPD file along
with mine.

This is my ppd that came with the printer:
http://tinyurl.com/Phaser3250DN-ppd

I created two new printers using the *file:/* (print-to-file) backend, one with
my PPD (3250DN) and one with the 6280DN ppd and printed a sample PDF with the
latest Adobe Reader.  Here are the results:

http://tinyurl.com/output-Phaser6280DN
http://tinyurl.com/output-Phaser3250DN

As you can see the resulting ps file from my printer looks good.  The other
file, I get errors when watching it with "gv".

I know just some basic CUPS and know nothing about the postcript language
itself so bare with me :)   I wonder...is it really something wrong with his
PPD file? Or is it Adobe Reader? Or are there some instructions in his PPD that
Adobe can't handle correctly?

I'm also wondering when he used the lpr command...did that work because
pdftops was doing the actual conversion?

Thanks.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Regards,
Jorge