[cups.bugs] printer problem

Doug Nusbaum dpaladin at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 2 08:42:21 PST 2009

re : http://marc.info/?l=cups-bugs&m=119618670601614&w=2

this does not work:

http://localhost:631/admin/?op=set-printer-options&printer_name=silvius_printer <http://localhost:631/admin/?op=set-printer-options&printer_name=silvius_printer>

and there is nothing that I saw on http://localhost:631/printers/ that
is any clue as to how to restart the printer.   Seriously, what here is
a clue to restart the printer:

*Search in Printers:*

Showing 1 of 1 printer.

? Queue Name ?
<http://localhost:631/printers/?QUERY=&WHICH_JOBS=&FIRST=%7BFIRST%7D&ORDER=dec>
	Description 	Location 	Make and Model 	Status
MFC-6800 <http://localhost:631/printers/MFC-6800> 	Brother MFC-6800
	Brother MFC-9050 Foomatic/hl7x0 (recommended) 	Paused - "Unplugged or
turned off"

I can clikc on MFC-6800 and that does not work.

Oh ... wait... I finally found it.  I click on MFC-6800, then click on
maintenance, then click on pause printer, then click on maintenance then
click on resume printer.

I find it hard to believe that this could not have been set up in a more
intuitive manner than:

If the printer is paused, go to maintenance, click pause, then go to
maintenance AGAIN, and now click restart.