[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3437: Printer (Samsung ML-2010 and ML-2510) won't print many documents, it always says "Processing page ..." after finishing too.

J Gruendl johann.gruendl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 08:42:25 PST 2009

[STR New]

I own a Samsung ML-2010R (plugged in on USB). I'm using Archlinux, CUPS
version is 1.4.2-1. Splix is 2.0.0-1.

After blacklisting lpusb installation worked fine. Also printing a
testpage worked. Printing works for some documents, but there are some
which won't. The document is sent to the printer (or at least it looks
so), but nothing happens (sometimes the printer makes a short noise).

When I go to http://localhost:631/printers/ the printers state says "Frei
- "Processing page xx..."" (while "frei" being German for "free", could
also be "idle" in English).

"Processing page"-Nr. is always too high. If i printed a 4-page-document,
it shows "Processing page 5" (no matter if printing actually works or
not). When printing a 5-pages-doc, it would say "Processing page 6" and so
on. Showing this message doesn't have any effect. The printer will accept
future jobs, and sometimes print them, sometimes not print them.

I also have a thread on the Archlinux-Forum:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=664736
There is a second user with the same issues with a Samsung ML-2510, it
could probably be a SpliX problem, too. My cups-pdf printer doesn't show
"Frei - Processing page ...", and afaik prints everything. But SpliX and
our printers worked fine with CUPS 1.3.

At the moment it didn't occur for a while, but i didn't have to print a
lot. My girlfriends Mac uses my printer too, she had the problem again
today. As I turned on debugging, I'll post the error_log here. As soon as
it happens again, when printing from my machine I'll add another log.

She tried to print from Word (for Mac). It was a 1-page-doc. First time it
printed (Job 229), after some minor changes it didn't print (Jobs 230-232).
Exporting it as a pdf and trying to print the pdf helped (Job 233) (I also
already had issues printing pdfs from Okular and Adobe Reader, so it is
not just Word or something)

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3437
Version: 1.4.2