[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3451: Listen and Access documentation is unclear about IPv6

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Dec 15 10:30:11 PST 2009

[STR New]

On NetBSD 5, I found that my notebook (Mac 10.5.8) was denied access
because it was using IPv6; I deny all and allow local addresses.  I tried
to add

  Allow From 2001:abcd:1234::/48

but got an error.  I tried to read the Allow documentation for the proper
format of an IPv6 prefix, even though the above is obviously right :-). I
then tried to read the documentation (on cups.org) about how to use Listen
to get the effect of * on IPv4 but not listen on IPv6.
I ended up listening on 127.0.0.1 and  real v4 address separately, but
this is kludgy.

This ticket asks for the documentation to have an example of allowing an
IPv6 prefix (a /48 would be a good choice) in the Allow section, and an
example of listening on the wildcard v4 address only, and the wildcard v6
address only.  Sorry for not including the examples - I'm filing this
ticket because I can't figure it out.  (I suspect that the Allow
processing for v6 is not right; I got a complaint about 48 being a bad
prefix value - but until there's a spec I can't say.)

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3451
Version: 1.3.11