[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2082: lpoptions(1) `-a' (all printers) option

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Dec 17 13:45:25 PST 2009

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

The side-effects are how we deal with options that are set on a particular
queue vs. those set "globally", and dealing with how to safely hide the
"all" destination in the API used to get and set the lpoptions defaults.

The best we could probably do is add support for an "LPOPTIONS"
environment variable that the lp and lpr commands would honor, but not any
other clients unless they specifically were updated to support it.
However, I'm not sure that is a good long-term solution for the standard
CUPS releases since most users print from GUIs and not the command-line.

FWIW, this would be the code to add to lp and lpr:

    const char *lpoptions = getenv("LPOPTIONS");
    if (lpoptions)
      num_options = cupsParseOptions(lpoptions, num_options, &options);

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2082
Version: 1.5-feature
Fix Version: Will Not Fix