[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2082: lpoptions(1) `-a' (all printers) option

Evan Broder broder at mit.edu
Thu Dec 17 14:12:37 PST 2009

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

Mike, can you elaborate on the sorts of side-effects you're worried about?

This is turning into a big issue for MIT's CUPS deployment right now.
We're trying to be eco-friendly by encouraging people to use double-sided
printing and turn off the default job sheet, but we're not at a point
where we can comfortably make those the default.

With our previous LPRng infrastructure, we could tell people to set LPROPT
in their dotfiles.

Under CUPS, we can tell people to run lpoptions -o
sides=two-sided-long-edge for each of a series of printers, but MIT has
thousands of printers, and the list of queues changes frequently, so we
really need the ability to set options like that for all queues.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2082
Version: 1.5-feature
Fix Version: Will Not Fix