[cups.general] DESPERATE! Can't print more than one copy at a time!

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Feb 2 15:49:30 PST 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 15:37:01 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

> Xerox Phaser 7400DN from Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64, up to date.
>
> I don't use this printer often, but when I do I really need its
> features. Every couple of months I use it to print 550 copies of a
> flyer. The last time I did this was around the first of December, and
> it worked fine. Now, all I can get is 1 copy. If I tell it to print
> more copies the application generates the print job as usual, I see the
> print job in Manage Print Jobs, the print job goes to the printer, but
> absolutely nothing happens at the printer. No flashing lights, no
> "processing" message -  nada. But one copy does work fine - I see the
> "processing" message, and the page comes out of the printer.
>
> The document was created in OpenOffice.org Writer 3.0. Since I couldn't
> get more than one copy from Writer I exported it to PDF and printed it
> from Adobe Reader 8.1. But I get the same results from Adobe Reader -
> one copy prints fine, but that's all I can get. I tried 10 copies, 100
> copies, 550 copies, and several other numbers, but any time I specify
> more than one copy the print job goes into the bitbucket.
>
> I sure hope someone has a fix, because I need to deliver these flyers
> tomorrow morning!

OK, further information:

I just tried a few other numbers. If I print:

100 copies I get 0 copies
50 copies I get 0 copies
10 copies I get 0 copies
550 copies I get 0 copies
1 copy I get 1 copy
9 copies I get 9 copies
12 copies I get 2 copies
99 copies I get 9 copies

The pattern makes it obvious what is happening.

As a workaround to get me by this time I can print nine copies 61 times
(ugh!). But something is seriously wrong. And it happens from all
applications.