[cups.general] DESPERATE! Can't print more than one copy at atime!

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Feb 3 05:00:45 PST 2009

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 15:37:01 -0800
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
>
>> Xerox Phaser 7400DN from Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64, up to date.
>>
>> I don't use this printer often, but when I do I really need its
>> features. Every couple of months I use it to print 550 copies of a
>> flyer. The last time I did this was around the first of December, and
>> it worked fine. Now, all I can get is 1 copy. If I tell it to print
>> more copies the application generates the print job as usual, I see the
>> print job in Manage Print Jobs, the print job goes to the printer, but
>> absolutely nothing happens at the printer. No flashing lights, no
>> "processing" message -  nada. But one copy does work fine - I see the
>> "processing" message, and the page comes out of the printer.
>>
>> The document was created in OpenOffice.org Writer 3.0. Since I couldn't
>> get more than one copy from Writer I exported it to PDF and printed it
>> from Adobe Reader 8.1. But I get the same results from Adobe Reader -
>> one copy prints fine, but that's all I can get. I tried 10 copies, 100
>> copies, 550 copies, and several other numbers, but any time I specify
>> more than one copy the print job goes into the bitbucket.
>>
>> I sure hope someone has a fix, because I need to deliver these flyers
>> tomorrow morning!
>
> OK, further information:
>
> I just tried a few other numbers. If I print:
>
> 100 copies I get 0 copies
> 50 copies I get 0 copies
> 10 copies I get 0 copies
> 550 copies I get 0 copies
> 1 copy I get 1 copy
> 9 copies I get 9 copies
> 12 copies I get 2 copies
> 99 copies I get 9 copies
>
> The pattern makes it obvious what is happening.
>
> As a workaround to get me by this time I can print nine copies 61 times
> (ugh!). But something is seriously wrong. And it happens from all
> applications.

The same type of printer works fine at our site (I just printed
10 copies of a single page).

Perhaps you let us know the CUPS version you use and how the printer
is connected (i.e. which backend you use), and, perhaps, provide
a sample file (that is, as this printer's PPD uses a fairly big
job patch file to manipulate the setpagedevice  attributes).

Helge