CUPS only displaying HP drivers, no RAW option

Jeremy jeremynd01 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 19:27:39 PST 2009

I've been using CUPS and IPP on my home network and haven't been very happy with the performance.  I want to to try installing a RAW queue, and all the docs/HOWTO's I see on the net indicate that, while adding a printer through the web interface, I should select RAW from the Model/Device selection page.  Well, my page only displays HP drivers: there is nothing that indicates RAW on the list.  I mod'd the /etc/cups/mime.convs and mime.type files and uncommented the appropriate lines and restarted the server.  The only thing I can figure is that the computer autoprobes the LPT1 port and finds my printer (HP LaserJet 6L), and maybe that is limiting the list?  Or did I miss something?  I have a pretty generic ubuntu CUPS install.