Securing IPP traffic

none "matthew\" at (none)
Fri Feb 6 02:32:06 PST 2009

Morning all,

I have had a quick search arround and found a lack of information on
printing via IPP using encryption.

Our senario:

As a hospital trust we have multiple sites. Some of our users work on
sites which we do not manage. We have a requirement that these users be
able to access our patient administration system and print confidential
documents to printers close to them. The patient administration system
runs on Tru64 UNIX.

I hope to be able to provide a CUPS server for the Patient
administration system to print to via LPD which will then send the print
jobs on to the printers via encrypted IPP.

Has anybody attempted such work?

Any suggestions for printers / embedded print servers which support
encrypted IPP?

How dificult is it to configure Certificates if TLS is used? To be
honest does anybody know of a general guide to this side of printing?

Kind regards,

Matthew.