Having trouble printing to a different tray

Steve Cohen mail4steve at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:01:03 PST 2009

We are using cups 1.2.7 on solaris 10 installed from a blastwave package. We have had a problem on several hp laserjet printers of not being able to print to a specified tray. For example on a HP laserjet 4050 With the following options from lpoptions.

PageSize/Media Size: *Letter LetterSmall Executive Legal LegalSmall A4 A4Small A5 B5 w612h935 w558h774 Env10 EnvMonarch EnvDL EnvC5 EnvISOB5 Custom

MediaType/Media Type: *None Plain Preprinted Letterhead Transparency Prepunched Labels Bond Recycled Color Rough Card_Stock

InputSlot/Media Source: Auto Upper Middle *Lower LargeCapacity Envelope

We have three trays 1 (which is a manual feed), 2 which has letter paper, and 3 which has legal.

If we print by typing:

lp -d <printer> <filename>

It prints to tray two even though its default is to the lower tray which is tray3. Presumably, that is because it is defaulted to letter.

If I specify legal by typing:

lp -d <printer> -o media=Legal <filename>

It prints to tray three. However, we have not been able to get it to print to tray3 when we specify a tray. We've tried:

lp -d <printer> -o InputSlot=Lower <filename>

lp -d <printer> -o media=Lower <filename>

lp -d <printer> -o Lower <filename>

None of which work.

Now on this particular printer, we could get by by just specifying Legal when we need to, but, on other printers we can't. We have a printer with 4 trays, all letter, however:

tray1=manual
tray2=label
tray3=label
tray4=plain

If I specify this printer but no options, it prints to tray4, If I specify -o media=label it prints to 2, if I specify -o media=plain it prints to tray4, but it never prints to 3.

So what is the correct form to print to a specified tray? Do we need to upgrade to a new version of cups?

Thanks,
Steve