Firmware Downgrade for HP LaserJet 4250?

Johan Bengtsson elijah at NOSPAMMchalmers.se
Mon Feb 9 01:38:14 PST 2009

John Five wrote:

> Does anyone have or know where I can find the previous version of the
> latest firmware for HP LaserJet 4250? I'm looking for firmware version
> 08_014, the latest is 08_015.
>
> It appears that Samba printing does _not_ work with this latest
> firmware. Samba jobs through CUPS appear to repeatedly cause 49 60FF
> firmware errors, requiring the printer to be power-cycled. Needless to
> say my users are getting frustrated.
>
> Someone said on the driver page [1] that the Windows PPD for this
> printer makes the problem go away, but that it needs to be edited
> significantly for CUPS to parse it.

You could try the Windows NT 4.0 PPD, if I remember it right it may be OK
with maybe just a few warnings. I think I have the older firmware
somewhere, but I remember we had lots of problems with printing PDFs with
that version...

-Johan Bengtsson