[cups.general] problems with order of print jobs....

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Feb 10 10:18:41 PST 2009

Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski wrote:
> Good Morning!
>
> I have problem with jobs ordering in cups.
>
> 1. let user A send from Windows (Postscript) via SAMBA to cups 100 jobs (one job = one page) - e.g. it send one jobs per minute
> 2. at start order of jobs is correct first goes job1
> 3. printer is connected to cups via HP jetdirect IPP (e.g. HP4000N/4050N/4100N)
> 4. when printer prints jobs 1 rest of jobs are stalled
> 5. but after printer prints job1 it take job that are currently send via client (e.g. job4) instead takes first stalled job
> 6. whole effect: if you send 100 jobs order of printout is totally messed - e.g. job1, job5, job2, job3, job7 etc..
>
> where sit an error in config?

There are too many variables.

Try first printing locally on the CUPS server.  If the job order is
preserved there, try printing via IPP from the Windows client - just
change the port associated with the Samba queue to:

     http://servername:631/printers/printername

If that works, then the problem is in Samba.  If not, the problem is
in Windows.

If the job order isn't preserved for locally-submitted jobs, we'll
need the exact configuration you are using on the CUPS server - OS,
version of CUPS, driver you are using, and the device URI for the
printer.