[cups.general] precisions about browsing

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Thu Feb 12 01:33:19 PST 2009

Hello list.

I've trouble understanding precisely how browsing directives works. I'm
using a cups 1.3.6 server on Linux.

My cups serveur is in a distinct subnet from my users, and broadcasting
between networks is not permitted on the routers. So, there no need to
send printers notifications, which is apparently governed by
'BrowseAddress' directive.

It does however need to be pollable by users machines. Quite curiously,
in order to make it works for MacOsX clients, they have to specify
browsing protocols, and the server needs to have a corresponding
'BrowseAllow' directive. Those two directives are not needed at all for
Linux clients, which is a first issue.

Moreover, as soon as 'BrowseAllow'policy is in use, printers shared by
those users integrate server list, which is unwanted behaviour, and the
second issue.

So, is there anything specific with MacOsX cups implementation regarding
protocols, and is this normal than polling is accepted/rejected
following the same directive than is supposed to address shared printers
automatic integration ?