Adding/removing printers by adding/removing configuration files to a directory?

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at illinois.edu
Thu Feb 12 21:36:45 PST 2009

I manage a group of MacOS X machines using radmind (see
http://radmind.org/ for more info).  Some of the machines have local
physically-connected printers and network printers as well.  I'd like to
add and remove printers using radmind without disturbing certain printer
definitions.

Radmind isn't designed to allow managing portions of a file, only entire
files.  So I can't use radmind to control sections of a printers.conf file.

I would like to have a printers.conf that includes all the *.conf files
it finds in a particular directory.  Every *.conf file it finds in that
directory could hold one portion of what would normally go into a
printers.conf file.  This, I believe, would let me leverage what radmind
does well -- manage files -- and add/remove printers without having to
use scripts to manage a monolithic printers.conf file.

The idea is much like apt and yum allow one to add/remove repo entries
on a GNU/Linux system by adding repo description files to a particular
directory.  Packages can add/remove a repo file without disturbing other
repo files.

Is there a way to do get CUPS to add/remove printer definitions in a
comparable way?

Thanks.