Cups kerberos and remote authentication

Alexandre alex.etherealsoul at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 03:14:30 PST 2009

> Hi all,
>
> I've been working in a project and right now we are in the phase of printing.
> Well, we have 3 servers for applications that have SLES 10 with cups 1.1 and a OpenSuse with Cups 1.3.9.
>
> In both server the authentication of the users is done with Kerberos 5 and I have the OpenSuse working as expected regarding printing and defining policies for users.
>
> The others 3 servers were configured as clients of the OpenSuse (printserver).
>
> So the problem we are having is that when printing from App Servers we don't see any printers at all, but if we login directly into PrintServer, we can see the printers, depending on the user.
> All app servers have access to print server, it was tested without policies defined.
>
> The second problem, is that I can't define printer policies for groups ... just users:S Anyone has an idea for this one, and what about the first one?
>
> I know that cups 1.1 doesn't support kerberos, but I was expecting that the login information would be sent over to the Print Server...
>
> Any toughs on this?
>
> Thanks you in advance
> Alexandre Alves

Well.. I forgot to increase loglevel in cups and after doing it I get:

D [13/Feb/2009:11:09:19 +0000] cupsdAcceptClient: 13 from 10.21.217.20:631 (IPv4)
D [13/Feb/2009:11:09:19 +0000] cupsdReadClient: 13 POST / HTTP/1.1
D [13/Feb/2009:11:09:19 +0000] cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.
D [13/Feb/2009:11:09:19 +0000] cupsdSendError: 13 code=403 (Forbidden)

So, as far as I can tell as long as clients are previous to 1.2 which supports kerberos, I won't be able to print from the App Servers right?

Regards
Alexandre Alves