Windows Driver Issue

Ryan Holliday rholliday at bcssi.com
Fri Feb 13 10:06:21 PST 2009

We are experiencing odd behavior on our Windows XP clients that have a CUPS printer installed. If a client is idle for a couple of days when a user logs into the client the CUPS printer device is unresponsive. As an administrator we could not even bring up a print properties for the printer, although if we tried we were able to connect to the CUPS web page. We did not have any issues connecting to another non-CUPS network printer. In order to get the CUPS printer to work again we have to restart the print spooler service as an Administrator, which with the number of clients we have would be an unacceptable workaround. This has not been easy to reproduce as it appears to happen randomly for different clients and we can't seem to find a common cause.

Our research seemed to indicate that these symptoms are typically caused by a bad Windows driver. However, we couldn't find anyone else experiencing these problems so we remain unconvinced that it's a driver issue. We have also recently updated our lockdown procedures, but given the number of items we set it's hard to figure out where to even start looking.

We are using the latest cups6 driver and are connecting to a CUPS 1.3.7 server.

If anyone has any ideas that would be very appreciated.