Cups and Kerberized SMB

Matthew Richardson m.richardson at ed.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 08:32:32 PST 2009

I'm currently trying to use cups to send print jobs from a linux client to a printer which is available as a smb share on an AD server.

So far, I've successfully tested this using smbspool:

smbspool smb://server.example.com/printqueue "" "username" "" "1" "" /tmp/helloworld.txt

This goes to the printer successfully if I have a valid kerberos ticket, and fails if I don't.

However, I can't carry this over into cups.

The important bits of my printers.conf are as follows:

<DefaultPrinter printqueue>
Info printqueue
DeviceURI smb://server.example.com/printqueue
...snip...
</Printer>

I've tried setting 'AuthInfoRequired none' or 'AuthInfoRequired negotiate' - but neither shows any signs of working.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

(I'm also using chattr +i to make printers.conf immutable to prevent it being overwritten by cupsd at startup and resetting AuthInfoRequired to username,password).

Thanks,

Matthew