[cups.general] precisions about browsing

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Thu Feb 19 02:29:25 PST 2009

Michael R Sweet a écrit :
> Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> It does however need to be pollable by users machines. Quite curiously,
>> in order to make it works for MacOsX clients, they have to specify
>> browsing protocols, and the server needs to have a corresponding
>> 'BrowseAllow' directive. Those two directives are not needed at all for
>> Linux clients, which is a first issue.
>
> The default browsing configuration on Mac OS X is different than most
> Linux distros.
Indeed, I finally found a note here explaining the change in default values:
http://lapserv.maths.cam.ac.uk/docs/osxprint105.html

It would be worth a notice in cupsd.conf man page, wrongly announcing
'CUPS dnssd' as default value, for us poor admins trying to manage
heterogeneous networks:
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/ref-cupsd-conf.html

--
BOFH excuse #110:

The rolling stones concert down the road caused a brown out