[cups.general] precisions about browsing

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Fri Feb 20 01:57:06 PST 2009

Michael Sweet a écrit :
> Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> Michael R Sweet a écrit :
>>> The default browsing configuration on Mac OS X is different than most
>>> Linux distros.
>> Indeed, I finally found a note here explaining the change in default
>> values:
>> http://lapserv.maths.cam.ac.uk/docs/osxprint105.html
>>
>> It would be worth a notice in cupsd.conf man page, wrongly announcing
>> 'CUPS dnssd' as default value, for us poor admins trying to manage
>> heterogeneous networks:
>> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/ref-cupsd-conf.html
>
> Keep in mind that ref-cupsd-conf.html on cups.org reflects the
> documentation as generated by configure on a Mac.  You should always
> look at your local documentation ("man cupsd.conf" and
> http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html) to see your local
> defaults.
Does this means than future MacOs X will revert
this unhappy change, and also use cups browsing protocol by defaut :P ?

Anyway, my point is not about the knowing exact default values of my own
server, but about the various implementations of cups co-existing in my
user machines parks. Hence the need for some kind of reference
documentation, for which the cups web site seems the best place. If the
default values are build-dependendant, this ought to be mentioned
somewhere. A warning in the man page wouldn't hurt: "The default value
is actually dependant of build options. This server use the following
values: ...."
And a item in the FAQ may explain than ccups shipped in MacOs only does
dnssd by default.

Last but not least, why is this really needed to fiddle with default
values in the binaries for that ? Just tuning the shipped configuration
file would achieve exactly the same result, with self-understandable for
users...

--
BOFH excuse #178:

short leg on process table