[cups.general] precisions about browsing

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Feb 20 08:25:10 PST 2009

Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Michael Sweet a écrit :
>> Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>>> Indeed, I finally found a note here explaining the change in default
>>> values:
>>> http://lapserv.maths.cam.ac.uk/docs/osxprint105.html
>>>
>>> It would be worth a notice in cupsd.conf man page, wrongly announcing
>>> 'CUPS dnssd' as default value, for us poor admins trying to manage
>>> heterogeneous networks:
>>> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/ref-cupsd-conf.html
>> Keep in mind that ref-cupsd-conf.html on cups.org reflects the
>> documentation as generated by configure on a Mac.  You should always
>> look at your local documentation ("man cupsd.conf" and
>> http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html) to see your local
>> defaults.
> Does this means than future MacOs X will revert
> this unhappy change, and also use cups browsing protocol by defaut :P ?

BrowseLocalProtocols defaults to "CUPS dnssd", and
BrowseRemoteProtocols defaults to "".

(Setting BrowseRemoteProtocols to any value requires that cupsd run
all the time, which is something we like to avoid on portables...)

> Last but not least, why is this really needed to fiddle with default
> values in the binaries for that ? Just tuning the shipped configuration
> file would achieve exactly the same result, with self-understandable for
> users...

For most things we do exactly that.  For things like Group and User
we use compiled-in defaults so as not to clutter the cupsd.conf
file with settings that are rarely changed.