lpr style filter chains

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Feb 24 07:39:10 PST 2009

dietz proepper wrote:
>>> Is there an easy way to accomplish something similar
>>> with cups? Either by having different queues that speak
>>> to the same printer and get preprocessed somehow or
>>> by setting some options for print jobs that get evaluated
>>> by a custom filter? Or anyhow else?
>> CUPS already includes filters for doing most things you'd do with
>> lpr (the missing stuff has to do with ditroff output and a few
>> other obscure formats, but those can be added using system-specific
>> filter scripts registered with CUPS...)
>
> Also stuff like posterizing and n pages on one page?
> (these were the two I was specifically missing)

If by "posterizing" you mean stretching things across multiple pages,
CUPS does support that for images but not for other file formats.

number-up is a standard IPP option (1, 2, 4, 6, 9, and 16 are supported
by the standard filters...)

>> You can setup multiple queues or use instances to define variants
>> of the same queue, e.g.:
>>
>>      lpoptions -p MyPrinter/duplex -o sides=two-sided-long-edge
>>      lpoptions -p MyPrinter/2up -o number-up=2
>
> Ack. If I have to make up my "special" stuff on my own, I would add
> some filter and have it evaluate some custom options?

If you have non-standard options you need to support, yes.  Otherwise
you can relax and use what CUPS already supports:

     http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/printing.html