DL sized document prints as though it is meant to be A4.

Jamie Stevenson jsstevenson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 04:31:36 PST 2009

Hello...

I am struggling to get a DL (envelope) sized document to print correctly.

Basically, I have a document that is set to size DL (110mm x 220mm) but when I print it it does not print successfully on a DL sized envelope.  It prints but is misaligned on the DL paper and 'falls' off of it.  If I print the same document using an A4 sheet of paper the file prints fully in the middle of the A4 sheet both vertically and horizontally.

I am working under Linux 2.6.28-ARCH and if I use xpdf, evince, or the command line, the results are the same.

I am using a Samsung ML-3051N printer, and PPD file is located at /etc/cups/ppd/ml3050.ppd.

At the command line I would expect the following to work:

lpr -o media=DL filename.pdf

I have also tried using using custom paper sizes, e.g.:
lp -o media=Custom.110x220mm filename.pdf

If I print using Adobe Reader under Windows XP then the DL size prints without issue!

Would anyone have any ideas as to how to troubleshoot and/or solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.