[cups.general] Two Drivers - 1 queue?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Feb 25 23:42:52 PST 2009

Hello,

On Feb 23 13:43 John Buczek wrote (shortened):
> I have a small network with three Win machines, one Ubuntu machine
> and a VSFF (very small form factor) file/print server also running Ubuntu
> with SAMBA/CUPS.  There is one printer, Epson Stylus T10 on the server.
>
> If I configure the printer as PostScript with the PIPS driver supplied
> by Epson it works fine for the linux boxes.  If I configure it
> as RAW and let the standard Epson Win drivers run it works fine
> for the Win machines.
>
> Problem is "Can I do both at once"?

Yes.

The simplest solution is to set up two queues, one "raw" queue
and one using the driver.

Alternatively print via Samba from the Windows client systems
because one can force Samba on the Linux server to forward
the readymade print data which Samba got from Windows
in "raw" mode to the CUPS print queue so that it is not changed
at all on the Linux server but sent as is to the printer.
Therefore have an entry
   cups options = raw
at the appropriate place in a Samba config file
(I don't know how the Samba config is at Ubuntu).

> ... can I have two different drivers into one spooler at the same time?

If you really need two different drivers for one queue,
have a look for an example at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
"Optional PCL Printing on PostScript+PCL Printers"

But the simplest solution is of course to set up two queues,
one for each driver.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex