[cups.general] Re : Re: Facing error 'Request from "localhost" using invalid Host : field "/private/var/run/cupsd"' after applying Mac security update 2009-001 on Mac OS 10.5

Mangesh Kute kutemangesh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 04:04:25 PST 2009

> On Feb 25, 2009, at 3:24 AM, Mangesh Kute wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We provide print client "iPrint" on Mac using CUPS API, to work with
>> Novell iPrint server.
>> We connect to local CUPS server by giving host name as "/private/var/
>> run/cupsd"(value returned by cupsServer()). After connecting
>> successfully when we send any request on this connection, it returns
>> an error "HTTP_BAD_REQUEST". In CUPS error log, we are seeing error
>> 'Request from "localhost" using invalid Host : field "/private/var/
>> run/cupsd"'
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea on the reason for error ?
>
> Sure, you aren't passing in a valid hostname.  CUPS is now checking
> for that.
>
> If you use the CUPS functions for sending IPP requests, the domain
> socket filename
> is automatically mapped to localhost when the request is sent.
> Otherwise, you are
> responsible for doing so since otherwise httpPost() uses the address
> passed to
> httpConnect().

We are using our function for sending ipp request.
We tried with mapping hostname to localhost, if it is a socket
filename. Now it is working fine.
Thank you for your help.

> In general, there should be no reason not to use the CUPS-provided
> cupsDo*Request
> functions in any application.  If there is, we want to know about it!

We are using our own function for avoiding some issues, because our
client is not yet fully written to the latest CUPS version and we are
still lagging.  We are planning to get it done soon.

>> We are seeing this error after applying "Mac Security Update
>> 2009-001' on Mac OS10.5. But if we install Mac combo update 10.5.6,
>> we are not seeing this error and communication goes fine with local
>> cups server.
>>
>> Is "CUPS 1.3.8" provided on Mac OS X 10.5  customized for MAC and is
>> it different from source code available at http://svn.easysw.com/public/cups/tags/release-1.3.8/
>>   (I am not able to locate above error in this source code) ?  From
>> where can I get source code for "CUPS 1.3.8" provided on Mac OS X
>> 10.5 ?
>
> The update contains some of the changes from later CUPS releases.

Is there any separate repository for code of CUPS distributed with Mac OS ?

Regards,
Mangesh