[cups.general] iso-8859-1 char not printing

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Feb 26 09:19:35 PST 2009

Willi Burmeister wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have cups-1.3.9 installed on our Solaris 10 SPARC system and most
> things are working.
>
> However ...
>
> Lots of our files contains german ISO umlauts (äöüßÄÖÜ) and these are
> not printed.
> Why are UTF used here?

The printing system itself only uses UTF-8; we'll convert command-line
arguments from the locale encoding to UTF-8 and command-line output
from UTF-8 to the locale encoding, but there is *no* support for
printing plain text files with alternate encodings because there is
no reliable way to detect their encoding.

Use third-party programs like a2ps to generate printable files from
arbitrary encodings.