[cups.general] iso-8859-1 char not printing

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Feb 26 09:26:38 PST 2009

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> What is not backward compatible is that before CUPS 1.3.4
> the cupsd supported several non-UTF-8 character sets
> so that many clients falsely and blindly rely on support
> for non-UTF-8 character sets and simply fail now
> instead of falling back to UTF-8.

Actually, the change to use UTF-8 happened in CUPS 1.2.0, and we
only forced UTF-8 in CUPS 1.3.4 because of the number of "I'm seeing
strange characters" bugs we got from users still on CUPS 1.1.x.

> Therefore the root cause is that clients are not in compliance
> to the IPP specification so that those clients must be fixed
> (as far as I understand the IPP specification).

Correct, and the fix for CUPS 1.1.x and earlier was to use a UTF-8
locale or edit the locale files to use UTF-8 as the default encoding.