[cups.general] UTF-8 vs. UTF8 locale

Willi Burmeister wib at cs.uni-kiel.de
Thu Feb 26 23:11:17 PST 2009

Hi,

cups-1.3.9 on my Solaris 10 SPARC system is setting the LANG environment
variable wrong. It's always set to 'en_US.UTF8' (without dash). This
setting gives me

   couldn't set locale correctly

error messages. The correct setting should be 'en_US.UTF-8' (with dash)

% locale -a | egrep en_US.UTF
en_US.UTF-8

Spelling 'UTF-8' as 'UTF8' is wrong. Found on UTF-8 FAQ for Unix/Linux:

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

  The official name and spelling of this encoding is UTF-8, where UTF
  stands for UCS Transformation Format. Please do not write UTF-8 in any
  documentation text in other ways (such as utf8 or UTF_8), unless of
  course you refer to a variable name and not the encoding itself.

I think this is a bug. Definitely it's one on Solaris.

Any workaround or bugfix available?

Thanks

Willi

P.S. I have