[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3105: Single pages are printed on the wrong side of letter paper

Herman Fries hfries at intevation.de
Wed Feb 18 08:36:07 PST 2009

[STR New]

> CUPS 1.2.5 (Oct 20, 2006)
>  * The PostScript filter now disables duplex printing when printing a
>    1-page document.
> <http://www.cups.org/relnotes.php>

If we print a single page on a duplex query of our printers (HP LaserJet
P2015 and Kyocera Mita FS-1020D) they let the front side blank and print
it on the back. Printing two or more pages results as expected with the
first page on the letterhead side of the paper.

Normally this would be no problem, but it is a problem printing on paper
with a logo on one side.

The manual of the printer shows that you have to flip the stack of paper
in the tray if you enable or disable duplex.

(a) Load Letter or A4 paper with the top of the page toward the rear of
the tray and with the side-to-be-printed down for single-sided printing.
For two-sided printing, load the top of the page toward the rear of the
tray and with the first side-to-be-printed up.

(b) Load short-edge fed media with the top of the page toward the right
side of the tray and with the side-to-be-printed down for single-sided
printing.
For two-sided printing, load media with the top of the page toward the
left side of the tray and with the first side-to-be-printed up.

The problem seams to exist with other HP-Printers also:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1054195
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1164817&admit=109447626+1234972621804+28353475

> [...]
> When duplexing, page 2 is actually printed first, then the paper is
> turned over and page 1 is printed. This is so that the correct
> pagination occurs at output. [...]

> This behaviour also occurs in a similar fashion on the HP 8150 printers.

We also tried to set ppd options like
 cupsEvenDuplex: True
 or setting the MediaType to Letterhead
but duplex toggle overrides them.

(file filter/pstops.c line 604)

- if (Duplex && (pages = atoi(line + 8)) > 0 && pages <= doc->number_up)
+ if (false)
  {
    /*
     * Since we will only be printing on a single page, disable
     * duplexing.
    */

    Duplex           = 0;
    doc->slow_duplex = 0;

We patched the automatic duplex toggle out to make it work for our
situation.  But it would be nice to have a solution upstream.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3105
Version: 1.3.8