marker-* attributes for the device w/ cartridge(s)/print head(s) removed

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Feb 19 09:18:55 PST 2009

Dmitry Sharov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how command file filter should report marker-* attributes in the case where device has one or more print cartridge(s)/head(s) absent/removed.
> Specifically, I'm interested in marker-types, marker-colors, marker-levels, and marker-names attributes.
>
> Documentation does not state anything explicitly about absent supplies case.
> Any pointers/suggestions/recommendations?

In general, you'll report that supply/slot in exactly the same way,
just with a marker-levels value of -1 (unknown).  For supplies that
can be filled by multiple cartridges (say, a black or a photo
cartridge), change the marker-names value to reflect an unknown state
(e.g. "photo-or-black") and the marker-colors value to "none".

In both cases, use STATE: messages to indicate that the corresponding
supply is missing, e.g. "STATE: +com.vendor-cyan-ink-missing".

Localizations for marker-name and STATE: keywords are provided in the
PPD file via the cupsMarkerName and cupsIPPReason keywords,
respectively.