Displaying current job/user on HP printer display

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Jan 6 08:29:19 PST 2009

Andreas Petzold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the past we were using LPRng with some magic to display the current job and user on the display of our HP4100 printer. I can't seem to find any documentation on how to do that with CUPS (we are using CUPS 1.2.7). Can somebody please send me a pointer to some docs or postings discussing the issue? Google didn't turn up anything interesting on the first few pages :-(
>
> Thanks,
>
> apetz

The socket backend should do that and the ipp backend as well
(at least they do so in CUPS 1.3.x). As I have skipped
the whole 1.2.x, I cannot tell anything about 1.2.7.

But, as an alternative, you could compile the hpnpf backend
(see the links on the CUPS web site) which definitely provides
job title and user name on the printer's display (via PJL commands).
The hpnpf backend is known to work with all CUPS versions 1.1.18 and higher.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung