[cups.general] Brother printer is /dev/null to cups-1.3.9-2.fc8

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 12:58:28 PST 2009

Greetings;

I've been trying to get a brother HL2140 to work like it worked before a hard
drive failed, downloaded and tried to install the now correct driver from
brother, and several other angles have been explored.

So here is a message at reboot from /var/log/cups/error_log, or at any time I
restart cups:

W [07/Jan/2009:14:23:19 -0500] DNS-SD registration of "lp1" failed with -65548

So, I find that there is an install script in the Brother download, and try to
exec it as root.  From that shell:

[root at coyote cupswrapper]# ./cupswrapperHL2140-2.0.2 -i
Stopping cups:                                             [  OK  ]
Starting cups:                                             [  OK  ]
lpadmin: Forbidden

Now if I delete the 'lp3' entry using FF, then goto admin/find new printers,
it displays 3 printers, two copies of this Brother and one Epson, so the
Brother is being shown twice, once without the usb port and once with.
Choosing the with or without, it then goes into the foomatic database and
picks the HL2170.ppd with no apparent errors, but a test page is completed in
about a second and the printer is silent using that driver also.  If I browse
for the HL2140.ppd then it is copied to /etc/cups/ppd/lp3.ppd ok, again no
errors except possibly the DNS-SD error in dmesg and it is just as
effectively  a /dev/null device as the other selections.

This printer did work, and very nicely before the hard drive upchucked and I
had to reinstall F8, using at that time, the Brother recommended and
downloaded from their site, HL2070 driver.

I've added some @OWNER to go with the @SYSTEM in cupsd.conf /admin verses, and
restarted cups, which again got me the DNS-SD error reported above.

I also reran that install script above, getting:

Stopping cups:                                             [  OK  ]
Starting cups:                                             [  OK  ]
lpadmin: forbidden

message again.

lpinfo -l -v returns:

Device: uri =
hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4f9_33_L7J156867_if0_printer_noserial
        class = direct
        info = Brother HL-2140 series
        make-and-model = Brother HL-2140 series
        device-id = MFG:Brother;MDL:HL-2140 series;CLS:PRINTER;
Device: uri = usb://Brother/HL-2140%20series
        class = direct
        info = Brother HL-2140 series USB #2
        make-and-model = Brother HL-2140 series
        device-id = MFG:Brother;CMD:PJL,HBP;MDL:HL-2140 series;CLS:PRINTER;L:E

What can I do to bring this printer back to life? FWIW, its test page works.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)