[cups.general] Printers Printing some PDFs as Garbage Characters

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jan 9 13:11:01 PST 2009

John Five wrote:
> I administer a CUPS 1.2.4 install running on CentOS 5.2. Recently we've had people complain to our help desk that when they attempt to print some PDFs from Adobe Reader/Acrobat the printer spits out pages upon pages of what looks to be garbage characters (binary postscript?).
>
> This is an extremely frustrating problem to debug. I can't figure out what is at fault here. Is it that Adobe is generating bad postscript? Are the drivers generating bad postscript? Is the printer not interpreting things correctly (firmware update required maybe?).

The usual culprit is Adobe in this case - they like to embed binary
PS and generally break all of their own rules in their PS output.

It's been a while, but there are some print dialog options that are
checked by default that can cause problems when printing through CUPS.
Unchecking the "optimize" options usually fixes things up.