[cups.general] please help - frustrating CUPS error (no one has been able to help!)

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jan 14 15:51:48 PST 2009

Zach Uram wrote:
> I am trying to get my HP Deskjet 960c color inkjet printer working on
> Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) with  CUPS. I have tried everything but
> nothing works :-(

You have really ancient printing software on your system.  At the
very least you should update to the current software appropriate
for Dapper Drake (probably CUPS 1.2.7 and a later version of HPLIP).

Alternately you can ignore the HPLIP driver and GNOME admin GUI and
use the CUPS web interface to add your parallel printer using the
HP DeskJet Series driver - at least then you'll be able to print
something out...

You can access the CUPS web interface via:

     http://localhost:631/admin

(and if that doesn't work, the Ubuntu folks may be more helpful since
the CUPS web interface should always work...)