[cups.general] CUPS and Equitrac UNIX print server implementation

Rick Cochran rcc2 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 19 07:17:46 PST 2009

I did a bit of research into using Kerberized CUPS.  I concluded:

1. If the print job is to be handled by the local spooler, the local spooler
must have its own service principal.  This is utterly impractical.

2. In order for the print job to bypass the local spooler, there must be a
"ServerName" directivein /etc/cups/client.conf or ~/.cups/client.conf.  This
creates two problems: The ServerName directive applies to _all_ printers,
eliminating the possibility of, say, a directly attached printer.  And I suspect
that the print job would not go through the local CUPS filters, requiring that
all the necessary filters be present on the server, and moving some processing
load to the server.

I concluded that Kerberized CUPS is not practical for our needs at this time.

I hope someone will correct me if any of the above is incorrect.

-Rick