CUPS 1.2.7: definitions in .convs and .types notworking

Michael Leimann mleimann at europe.com
Thu Jan 22 01:45:45 PST 2009

> (Please remember that this isn't a commercial support forum, and
>   any responses you get are from users and developers in their free
>   time.  Not seeing a response over a weekend is not unusual...)
>
> Michael Leimann wrote:
> > That is what we hoped to find with
> >
> > contains(0,900000,"<23466F726D3A") or
> > contains(0,900000,"23466F726D3A") or
> > contains(0,900000,23466F726D3A) or
> > contains(0,900000,<23466F726D3A>) or
> > contains(0,900000,"#Form:")or
> > ..
> >
> > What are we doing wrong here? Isn't is possible to search within a Postscript source?
>
> contains() currently only allows ranges of up to 4096 bytes.  This
> currently isn't documented anywhere but the source, but is a trade-
> off we made years ago for efficiency's sake (otherwise in your rule
> we'd have to read the first 900000 bytes of every print file, which
> will have serious a performance impact...)
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

Thank you very much for this valuable information! I did not want to urge you to answer me, I only tried to promote my problem ;-).

I agree, you are quite right regarding the performance impact. I did not want to do this (not knowing about the 4k limitation), but to make 100% sure that the "range" value is not my problem. I have created a one letter document (+"#Form:...") with OpenOffice Writer and printed it into a file:

ll -h test.ps
-rw-r--r-- 1 mleimann dummy 37K 20. Jan 10:26 test.ps

grep -b "<23466F726D3A544C424631>" test.ps
36909:<23466F726D3A544C424631>

This shows that I with ordinary methods a user is not able to set a searchable tag in a Postscript file.

Any suggestion to help me out of this misery?

Kind regards

Michael