[cups.general] CUPS and Equitrac UNIX print

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jan 22 08:20:42 PST 2009

Anders Bäck wrote:
> If I interpret the above correctly Equitrac won't be a problem, in contrast
> to getting kerberized CUPS to work...which at present might have some snafoos
> (presumtive nessesity that all clients must have a registerd SPN, instead of
> just having SGT's ?) but with a little luck someone might help me out with
> _all_ system requirements for kerberized CUPS to work...perhaps Mr Michael R
> Sweet might come to the rescue ;) ?

The only documentation/help we can provide is the Kerberos help
document on cups.org.  Because every vendor's implementation of
Kerberos is a little different, we can't provide step-by-step
instructions, just the requirements (which are there):

     http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/kerberos.html

The key issue for many sites is that they don't actually use Kerberos
the way it was designed - there is very little support for the
"anonymous client" scenario in Kerberos beyond authentication, and
you can't forward credentials without delegation (which does not
work with unregistered clients).

We *are* sympathetic, but right now the only workaround is to point
the clients at the server you are using.  Future versions of CUPS
*may* offer a "remote queue" option for printers, such that you can
specify that certain print queues need to be submitted directly to
the remote server.  The kicker is that you won't be able to do
load-balancing with implicit classes, and there will be no guarantees
about the print job getting printed since we won't wait for the job
to complete.