[cups.general] slow printing from cups

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jan 22 17:19:37 PST 2009

Ryan Suarez wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We're running samba v3.24 & cups v1.3.7.  The problem queue (oa-e202-e1)
> is printing to the lpd port Lexmark T644 printer.  I'm trying to print
> from Windows Vista 32bit client using  the 'Lexmark T644 PS (MS)' driver
> installed from the clients local driver repository.
>
> The problem is that it takes a *minute* to print a simple test notepad
> file.  The job hits the printer immediately since the roller on the
> printer starts spinning (slowly).  But the roller keeps spinning
> (slowly) for a while and the job eventually prints (slowly) after a
> minute of waiting.
>
> If I print directly to the IP of the printer, using the same driver on
> the client, the job prints *right away*.
>
> I have cups job files and error_log here:
> http://it.sheridanc.on.ca/cups
>
> Any advice?  We're getting alot of complaints with this.

More than likely the issue is that the print file probably gets
spooled 4 times - first as a metafile for the printer driver, then
from the driver to disk, then over to Samba (which puts a copy on
disk), and then finally to CUPS which puts a copy on disk before
running the backend which sends it to the printer.

You can use IPP (URL = http://cupsserver:631/printers/cupsqueue)
to print directly from the Windows system through CUPS to eliminate
two of those copies.